Forgiving my oh-so clever pun, I wanted to draw your attention to a clever new RPG, Hellas (we mentioned this one in our GenCon coverage, but wanted to give it a bit more attention given its impending release). Hellas has been described by its designers as the movie 300…in space! Basically, its a universe heavily inspired by Greek mythology, but set in a heavy sci-fi universe. The game itself uses the Talislanta rules (the Omni System), but introduces a number of mechanics from the story games community (it would take too long to explain – check out Indie Press Revolution for some great samples). From the publishers:
In ancient times, the spacefaring Hellenes and their Gods defeated an empire that threatened the entire galaxy. Now, after centuries of darkness, their enemies have returned for a final reckoning, and only a chosen few — wielding the power of the Gods — stand between them and certain destruction.
Hellas is an exciting fusion of high drama, action-adventure, romance, mythology-infused space opera and science fiction that features:
- Extensive history and character background set in the world of Hellas
- A style sheet for life in the galaxy of the Hellenes
- Over 30 pre-constructed vehicles including star ships
- Eight thoroughly explored factions and alien races: Amazorans, Goregons, Hellenes, Myrmidons, Nephelai, Nymphas, Kyklopes, and Zintar
- Awesome Godly Powers and Feats befitting a champion of the galaxy
- Clear and concise rules for the gift of the Gods of legendary power.
The game itself is shipping as a gorgeous hardcover, full color landscape book and if you squeeze in a pre-order quickly (it ships any day now), you can get the PDF for free! The Hellas website also has a PDF preview and quickstart rules.